October 06, 2010
^^Evan^^, my love, Thought of you today, but that is nothing new. I thought about you yesterday and days before that too. I think of you in silence, I often speak your name. All I have are memories and a picture in a frame. Your memory is a keepsake, with which I will never part. God has you in his keeping, I...have you in my heart. Mommy
The Cousineau Family learned from their journey with Evan that without people like you and I sharing our vital resources in the form of blood, marrow, cord blood, and organs/tissues, patients in need around the world have no hope for winning their fight for life.
Imagine knowing that you can help our foundation not only empower individuals worldwide to this universal cause, but that you will be directly responsible for “saving lives” with your financial support, as well as by becoming a donor. Every single one of us may need these vital resources in our lifetime, and the majority of us can share them, but most do not understand the need or ease of donation, until tragedy strikes.
Please help us give HOPE to patients around the world so that they have the same HOPE we had through Evan's selfless blood and cord blood donors. And of course, don't forget our oldest daughter Mary's gift of her kidney to little Dom, who is now 5 and alive and vibrant.
If you are not familiar with our journey, please take a few minutes to watch our story, produced by Cox Communications in May 2008, that just won an Emmy Award, called A Mother's Quest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK4Q2aX753E
Since our first donor event to help find Evan's donor, we have hosted over 360 donor events, contributed more than $80,700 toward tissue typing fees, and have confirmed more than 15 perfect marrow matches, with potentially thousands of additional lives saved because of our efforts.
Evan's Foundation “Be A Hero Become A Donor” Mission Statement:
To empower individuals with the concept of "recycling their bodies" to give life to patients in need worldwide, through not only education, but providing them opportunities to share
their vital resources by hosting donor events where they can donate blood, join the Be The Match Marrow Registry, commit to Donate Life, as well as learn about donating
their baby's lifesaving "cord blood".
Please consider helping us celebrate Evan this year.
Ways to become part of Evan's Entourage and support his foundation:
• Attend our casual Dinner and Silent/Live Auction at El Toro High School on Saturday, October 23 ( $10 suggested donation for dinner)
Sign up to attend by emailing Gina at email@example.com
• Consider a one time, annual, or monthly tax deductible contribution to our foundation's efforts. While there is a cost to running a foundation, ours is minimal, going towards administration costs and spreading awareness with promotional items (t-shirts, hats, decals, etc.). Our big expense comes from adding individuals to the Be The Match Marrow Registry, which costs about $100 per person. While all of our efforts at donor events go toward providing facts about the registry and alleviating the “fear factor” due to the media and society coercing people into believing marrow donation is painful and scary, we need to also alleviate the “fee factor” completely. After personally speaking to thousands about the registry, I know that getting someone to commit to the registry and then asking them to help contribute to the tissue typing fee is very difficult especially with our focus on college age youth. So we MUST fundraise for these fees separately from our donor events.
Checks can be made payable to BAHBAD Foundation and mailed to 211 W. Avenida Cordoba San Clemente CA 92672 or made on via credit card: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_flow&SESSION=384_Sw8-zCNVWmoI9fA6dwIdVArIQA-koARtQWczkM2J_-jdZo9-G3eaw_G&dispatch=5885d80a13c0db1f8e263663d3faee8dc18bca4c6f47e633b393e284a5f8a8f8
• Contribute a silent or live auction item to our annual event taking place the evening of Saturday, October 23 in El Toro, CA
A variety of auction items make this event fun and exciting and the more the better. We have seen from past events that travel opportunities, jewelry, sporting events, art, services, family and couple packages, to name a few are big hits. We need to get commitments by October 13th please.
Email Sandy McCutcheon at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Host a “Donor Event” in your community or with your company, school or other group, and help fund this event in part or full.
Donor events always include “marrow registry” but can also include blood drive and Donate Life registry as well.
Email Gina at email@example.com
• Celebrate what should have been Evan's 13th birthday with us on Saturday, November 6 at the Be The One Run in Long Beach, CA.
You can simply help us reach our tissue typing fundraising goal of $10,000:http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/site/TR/BeTheOneRun/BetheOneRun?px=1321667&pg=personal&fr_id=1631
Or join our team for the run and consider fundraising on your own, which will go toward tissue typing on our behalf: http://www.bethematchfoundation.org/site/TR/BeTheOneRun/BetheOneRun/ 2097419219?pg=team&fr_id=1631&team_id=7000
We are always in need of committed volunteers to our cause. No age limit (on either end), or experience necessary, just the desire to save lives. Donor Events, Office Work (computer/phone), Swab Kit Assembly, Fundraising Assistance, Grant Writing, start a BAHBAD Club in your community or at your high school/college.
Contact Gina about this as well firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for supporting us in this journey Evan has taken us on, and for helping us honor our vibrant boy,
Gina, Mark, Mary, Derek and Evan's twin sister Alaina